[Gllug] Computer shopping

Anthony Chapman anth at earthling.net
Mon Jul 28 23:09:52 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 15:28, Peter Childs wrote:
> 	Sounds like a WinModem to me. How do we tell one from other?

They're a bit better than that - they still work as IDE adapters,
whereas a winmodem is mainly useful as a paperweight. Unless someone
written a driver to use a winmodem as a mono soundcard.

IDE "RAID Controllers" that aren't really: Promise, Highpoint, and (as
far as I know) anything built into the mainboard. 3ware do what they say
on the box, and I think theres another (even more obscure) brand that
does too.

Linux has drivers for pseudo hardware raid, but Linux's normal md
software raid driver is better if compatibility with windows isn't an
issue.

--
load "vmlinux.el",8,1

-Anth