[Gllug] OT Suing Micro Anvika

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 14 17:34:07 UTC 2003

On Mon 14 Jul, Jim Bailey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just under a year ago I bought an iBook 2.2 from Micro Anvika which as
> failed to run for more than a couple or three months without catastrophic
> hardware failure.  Each time it has been exactly the same problem fan
> goes into over drive and within moments my screen is unusable with jagged
> horizontal lines and very rapidly it fails to boot entirely.
>
> I have sent it back to apple twice and each time they replaced the logic
> board and each time it has been returned it has died in exactly the same
> way.

   It sounds to me as though there might be an intermittent power supply
fault putting excessive volts into both the board and the fan. Some of the
computer boards I have seen have been very badly flow soldered, and I am
surprised that we do not have more faults. It is often easier to find faulty
joints by tapping the board than discover the cause by logical thought, and
that kind of fault often hides away when you start to look for it.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk