[Gllug] Compiling Debian Woody (not)

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Thu Jul 3 15:49:04 UTC 2003

"Peter Ball" writes:

>tar xIf /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.22.tar.bz2
>
>but this comes up with error message:
>
>tar: Warning the -I option is not supported; perhaps you meant -j or -T
>
>Presumably the manual has a typo in respect of the -I (uppercase i) option but
> I don't know
>enough to work out what it should be.
>
>Could someone please help me out with the correct switches :-)

For some reason, GNU tar changed its -I flag to -j a while ago. It
means use bzip2 compression. Poor choice, IMHO. They should have just
stuck with -z. For decompression, it can automatically work out which
type of compression was used (so "tar xvzpf" becomes a standard set
of arguments for *any* compressed archive). For compression, an extra
argument could specify the algorithm to use, defaulting to gzip, if
none is given. But it was not to be. One of these days I might get
round to coding it up and submitting a patch...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk