[Gllug] AOL blocking mail from DSL lines (again)

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Jul 8 12:33:50 UTC 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Tethys wrote:

> >Why don't you set up SMTP AUTH on your box and configure their sendmail
> >instance to authenticate? It's very easy to do and you wont then be
> >running an open relay.
>
> I'd have liked to do that. However:
>
> 1. They're not using sendmail. They're using Windows.

So? Just configure the mail client software they are using to authenticate
when connecting to your SMTP server.

Lots of people do this already and I am not aware of any mainstream
Windows mail clients software that cannot support such a simple thing.

> 2. They're in France, and needed something working ASAP.

It takes one minute to set up the client side.

> 3. I didn't fancy doing telephone support at international call rates
>    explaining to my non-computer literate parents how to configure
>    Pegasus to use SMTP AUTH when I don't even know myself -- I'd just
>    play around with the menu options until I found it. That's not an
>    option for them, though...

I am your Google bitch: http://www.pro-usa.net/Main/help/pegasus.asp

It looks very simple to me.

Jason Clifford