[Gllug] USB Securikey

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Mon Jul 21 20:08:13 UTC 2003

On Monday, 21 Jul 2003, Tethys wrote:
>Of course, if you have physical access to the machine, you can always take
>the hard drive out and put it in a machine of your choice. At which point,
>the idea of encrypting the filesystem is about the only way to prevent your
>data being lost

A resourceful attacker would install a keystroke logger on the
keyboard cable and hit the reset switch. You notice it's down and run
up and type in the passphrase.

Basically (as I think you are driving at) if the bad guys have
physical access you are screwed with mass-market hardware no matter
what.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk