[Gllug] NIS alternatives

Simon Morris simon.morris at penguinit.com
Fri Jul 18 06:33:01 UTC 2003

<quote who="Richard Jones">
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 05:39:12AM +0100, Simon Morris wrote:
>> To get a *nix machine to authenticate against LDAP the directory needs
>> support RFC 2307 [0] and support certain attributes that AD doesn't have
>> by default
>
> Ah but have you ever managed to get W2K to authenticate against
> OpenLDAP? If you have, please tell how!

I'm sure it's very possible....

Samba can act as a PDC for W2K machines which I have implemented but using
passwd files rather than LDAP.

Samba also has hooks into OpenLDAP to store the SMB user accounts and
passwords. All the components are there to make it work, and I'll have a
look when I get some time.

--
Simon Morris
simon.morris at penguinit.com