[Gllug] EU patents

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 10:20:07 UTC 2003

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Alistair Mann wrote:

> Thus spaketh Richard Hillesley on Tuesday 01 July 2003 12:02 am:
>
> > (Personally, I have come to the conclusion that patents have no value
> > whatsoever in any industry - except to the corporates who can afford the
> > lawyers. IBM owns 20000+ patents, and gains i.5 billion per annum from
> > them).
>
> That's what I'll do then: I'll invest some denarii in IBM!
> a) With a 1.5bn stream for holding patents they could probably pay dividends
> without actually doing any work at all;
> b) They have shown themselves to be Linux proponents (like Oracle, though I
> make no bones: linux, to them, makes business sense -- it isn't anything
> romantic);
> c) They are also Linux friendly: they contribute to the Linux arena, like
> Dell.
>
> As a shareholder I'll be able to put pointed questions to the board.
>
> CTTOI, I think I'll invest some money in Microsoft too: it's not like they
> need anymore, but if I can ask questions, I can ask why they are not
> delivering value to me as a shareholder by providing MSO under Linux.
>
> Well, maybe I'll just stick with IBM for now.

 That is plainly ridiculous, US law says companies have to try to achieve
 the best results for their shareholders, so I don't think they will
 be able to do away with the golden egg chicken even if they are on drugs.

 The U$$ capitalism/politics will destroy this planet.

 Microshit has trouble getting rid of money, if you want to help try to do
 a ".com" or even better a telewest, you might even earn some money.

 The IBM issue, I would guess they make more profits directly or
 indirectly from patents than anything else. If Linux becomes to hot a
 potato they'll drop it and put one of the BSDs in place. As a company
 they won't even blink an eye.

 Personally I don't buy software, I don't buy first hand hardware if I can
 avoid it, and I wouldn't change that even if I had money.

--
 Formi                               its-formi.net at rc
 FreeBSD 5.1 ThinkPad 570            Study the past, if you would divine

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk