[Gllug] Module vs compiled in...

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Fri Jul 18 18:05:18 UTC 2003

On Friday 18 July 2003 18:37, Stuart Sears wrote:

> On Friday 18 July 2003 2:23 pm, I thought I heard Dylan say
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I'm currently tinkering with LinuxFromScratch to get a good handle on how
> > the system hangs together. Now, on a box with onboard devices (which will
> > necessarily not be swapped out, therefore) such as NIC and graphics card,
> > what are the opinions on the swings and roundabouts of compiling the
> > drivers as modules or compiling them into the kernel?
> >
> > The way I see it, a NIC and graphics card are effectively in constant
> > use, hence the load-on-demand benefits (such as memory usage) simply
> > don't apply...
> >
> > Any comments/thoughts welcomed.
> >
> > Dylan
> >
> > --
> > Sweet moderation
> > Heart of this nation
> > Desert us not
> > We are between the wars
> > - Billy Bragg
>
> personally I compile everything I am going to be using into the kernel,
> except for two items - video card (i can't, it's NVidia)

Well, this machine isn't - but one I'll be moving on to later does and there
are always compromises to be made.

> - -emu10k1 for my SBlive (similar reasons)

Hmmm didn't know that one was closed aswell :((

> [I've never got on with alsa...]
> I find it a lot less hassle than messing around with modules.conf,

That's another reason why I asked - less to configure = less to go wrong.

> particualrly as I use devfs on the current system

Can you point to some good resources for devfs, is it worth the effort of
learning about...?

> In any case, I know that the hardware in my machine is supported by default
> then - anything and everything I don't use is not compiled at all.

Indeed - one of my main reasons for looking at LFS was that I hate having all
this irrelevant crapola on my hard drive (like 3 different text-based mail
clients and god knows how many modules for hardware I don't own)

> How are you getting on with the LFS, by the way? (I thoroughly recommend
> the lfs and blfs support lists - full of helpful people)

About a year ago, I stepped thru the instructions and got a working box (3.? I
think) and I've got to the same point again now on 4.1 Next step is to really
think about what I'm doing and where I'm going. I hope to have a server (nfs,
nis, mail, etc...) up and running but figure it might be 6 months before I
can swap out the SuSE based one I'm using at the moment (at home, that is.)

Dylan

--
Sweet moderation
Heart of this nation