[Gllug] Advice on which flavour of Linux to use as a serverplatform

Simon Morris simon.morris at penguinit.com
Thu Jul 24 16:36:02 UTC 2003

<quote who="Ted Bell">
> Hi, hope it is ok to continue this thread.
> I have purchased SME from the emporium. For some reason neither Win2k or
> WinME
> see the server when connected via the ethernet switch. I have also tried
> logging on with slackware but for some reason slackware cannot see the
> working network card on this (client) machine.

'See' the server on what level? From Windows can you ping the server by IP
address. If this fails then the following talk about which client to use
to connect the server is pretty irrelevant.

> Do I need a client under Windows? In my Novell days I used to load their
> client for windows to get over networking problems! I had assumed from the
> help files that I jneded to run client for windows.

You shouldn't need any client software to talk to this server. It uses
Samba which would talk to the Windows machine using it's native protocol.
However the client would need correct IP configuration -- DNS, WINS etc

> The only help (if you can call it help) from Mr Gates mob was to load
> service
> pack three. Unfortunatly that caused several other problems such as
> loosing
> all my Windows applications and my dial up connections, same old story.

Hope this helps
--
Simon Morris
simon.morris at penguinit.com