[Gllug] Little machines

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Jul 23 16:14:28 UTC 2003

Richard Cottrill wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> further to my last query about the O2 machines; I've got an old
> Thinkpad I'm going to lend to a friend to do her uni work on.
>
> Now, this is a P266MMX, 130MB RAM or so, and a 2GB(?) disc. I know I
> can fit a usable (if not totally leagal (now)) Win2K + MS Office
> install on there and it will run nicely, the user (not a nerd by any
> stretch) will be familiar with it. You guys may doubt it's usable, but
> it's served me well.
>
> The question for you guys is: If the Linux desktop is ready, what do I
> install on this machine? Some hassles will be allowed (owing to a
> dearth of other available options) but this has got to be simple,
> reliable, approachable, and easy for a near-novice.
>
> I'm thinking of a stripped Suse install. This machine will be a
> glorified typewriter; but can it beat a MS-powered glorified typewriter?

I would suggest that it depends upon a number of things.

Are you going to support the laptop and user.  As you provided the
laptop I have a funny feeling you will be the first call when she cannot
print.  In windows you are going to tell them to reboot.  In linux I
just stuck a menu item to restart the cups that was setuid

I found Open Office much more stable than Office 2000.  It does take
longer to load; however the benefit is that it is much less likely to
lose their work.

I set up a directory that was publicly shared using samba with clear
instructions that everything in there was public.

I also set up rsync with a server of mine for backups

I also ensured that items such as divx and mp3 players were installedto
take account of email attachments etc.

I used kde as others have recommended and all goes well.  My gf has had
a lot fewer problems and than her peers who were bought computers for
University.  Some have lots considerable amounts of data.  Please also
suggest that she keeps nothing of value on floppies.

Have fun
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk