[Gllug] Euro Patent Law

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 08:22:53 UTC 2003

I too feel that the prospect of computer programs being patentable rather than
copyrightable is a miserable one.

As a matter partly of curiosity, does anyone in the group have any knowledge of
patent law in regard to what I believe may be called 'prior art'.  I may be
totally wrong here, but I am under the impression that you can't patent
anything that has already been invented, or for that matter somnething that you
yourself have already placed in the lublic domain.

If this is the case, then possibly there should be a website someplace where we
can all 'publish' all the trivial and non-trivial code we ever wrote, on the
basis that its highly likely that anything the big boys want to patent will
probably contain elements/ideas of stuff already published?

Of course if this concept is fallacious, then I bags first go at patenting the
Wheel  !!!

Tim

The E-Mail and any files transmitted  with it, are confidential
whom they are addressed. If you have received this message
in error please notify the sender and delete the message.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk