[Gllug] For Sale - SGI O2 + Origin Server (with prices)

Paul Lee plee at weycrest.net
Wed Jul 23 15:20:38 UTC 2003

John Hearns wrote:
> Would the O2s make usable desktops? Can I realistically expect to run
> GNOME/KDE and Mozilla or OpenOffice on one of these beasties? Are they
> just to be considered as big X terminals? For £150 inc. monitor I think
> I'll take one (close to Baker St. tube too ;-)
>
> Sigh. How have the mighty fallen.
> You should really be asking if these things are still usable for realistic
> tank battle
> simulators, finding nuclear test sites in the Siberian tundra or segmenting
> and
> volume rendering MRI scan data on the fly.
> Sniff.
>
> IMHO, the Indigo Magic desktop was the best one I ever used.
>

> --

Hello

Sold an SGI Indy a while ago on Ebay :( Provoked by a space and moving
to London crisis.(though I still have about 6 Sun SS5/20's stacked up)

The SGI graphics and IRIX desktop were impressive. Even came with its
webcam. Really a shame to spoil them with X or Linux for that matter  ;O)

http://www.cheapsparcs.com/indy/

I doubt these machines will come preloaded with IRIX but copies do turn
up on Ebay from time to time.

I've think I'm getting the collecting fever" again!

--

Paul
paul at weycrest.net

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk