[Gllug] Content switches using Linux

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Jul 25 15:39:30 UTC 2003

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 02:48:09PM +0100, Huw Lynes wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:14:50 +0100
> Richard Cottrill <richard_c at tpg.com.au> wrote:
>
> > - Will a PCI bus come close to holding this sort of throughput?
>
> No. Sad to say but PCI really isn't that great at high-speed I/O. In order to
> get more speed you will need multiple buses, the faster the better.
>
> Some numbers for you:
> PCI32 33MHz = 133MB/s
> PCI32 66MHz = 266MB/s
> PCI64 33MHz = 266MB/s
> PCI64 66MHz = 533MB/s
> PCI-X 133MHz = 1066MB/s
> That of course is in an ideal world.

Not to mention the time taken to switch between bus-masters on the PCI
bus.

IIRC John Wroclawski did a lot of work in the area of building real
routers using PC hardware. The answer is it's basically very hard to
do. That's why people buy specialized equipment.

http://www.lcs.mit.edu/people/bioprint.php3?PeopleID=492

Perhaps ironically his website is unroutable at the moment, so here's
the Google cache:

http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:oN0-SjDahjEJ:www.ana.lcs.mit.edu/anaweb/papers.html+%22john+wroclawski%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Rich.

--