[Gllug] Postfix won't use Maildirs!

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Wed Jul 16 11:08:42 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 16 July 2003 09:06, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Simon Morris wrote:
> > I'm having a play with Postfix and Maildir's but not having a whole lot
> > of luck.
> >
> > I've set the parameter in /etc/postfix/main.cf
> >
> > home_mailbox = Maildir/
> >
> > but it keeps delivering the mail to a mbox in /var/spool/mail even after
> > restarting Postfix (and the machine!)
> >
> > Here are my custom parameters:
> >
> > wt-linux-04:~# postconf -n
> > home_mailbox = Maildir/
> > mailbox_command = procmail -a "$EXTENSION"
>
> I wonder whether the problem might be that you are using procmail for
> delivery rather than the postfix built-in delivery agents (the local
> delivery agent will work with a .procmailrc).
>
> I know that local will do maildirs.

The way I do it is to have postfix use procmail for delivery and then set
either

/etc/procmailrc to read DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

or have each user on the system use a ~/.procmailrc file with
DEFAULT=~/Maildir/

Then it works fine. If you set it up globally in /etc/procmailrc, you have to
be sure that every user HAS a ~/Maildir/ directory or strange things may
happen. Actually, I think in the case where there is no Maildir/ it reverts
to /var/mail/ delivery but don't quote me on that... :-)

SteveH

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk