[Gllug] Establishing the IP of a switch

abower at thebowery.co.uk abower at thebowery.co.uk
Sun Jul 20 10:37:58 UTC 2003

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 11:01:46AM +0100, Dylan wrote:

> > Many switches try to get an ip address by dhcp, have you tried setting
> > up a dhcp server?
>
> There is no mention of that capability in the manual I downloaded (after a
> half day's hunt) so No, haven't tried it.

tcpdump when you power on the switch, that would let you know if they asked
anything, or as suggested earlier use arp watch. Once you have the mac address
you are home and dry all you need to do then is add a static arp entry and ip
address then telnet to the switch.

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem