[Gllug] EU patents

Alistair Mann alistair at lgeezer.net
Mon Jul 7 21:38:42 UTC 2003

Thus spaketh Jim Bailey on Monday 07 July 2003 8:27 pm:
> On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 05:02:02PM +0100, Alistair Mann wrote:
> >
> > Thus spaketh Alain Williams on Tuesday 01 July 2003 12:03 pm:

> > > Formi does make the valid point: the biggest international problem at
> > > the moment is the uncontrolled US imperialism -- they act in their own
> > > best interests. The worrying thing is that they appear to not be able
> > > to understand that what is in their best interests is not always in
> > > everyone's best interests.
> >
> > In absolutely no aspect is this any different from what the British did
> > from 1750 to 1950, and the world seems to have fared not at all badly.
>
> Explain that too the millions exterminated in the scramble for empire
> during the said period, explain that to the starving worker slaughtered
> at Peterloo under the direct orders of The Duke of Wellington. Explain
> that to the people driven from their homes by the enclosures acts.  On
> and on it goes.

The onus for explanation is, I'm afraid, on you.

What is your source that 'millions [were] exterminated' by the British?

Everyone else believes that William Hulton, a local magistrate, ordered the
charge at Peterloo. Why do you disagree?

And exactly how were things better before the Enclosures Acts, given that
those acts caused a greater percentage of locals to be employed than
beforehand; it caused prices to fall for those same locals at a time when
corn was imported from warzones after English crops failed; and that rural
depopulation didn't occur until the 19th century?

Or how has any of the above negate my assertion that the world has not fared
at all badly under or since British Empire?

> Some time back some one published the little black book of communism
> which reported 100 million killed by communism, anyone like to hazard a
> guess at how many people have been killed by capitalism in the modern
> era (post 1793)?

Not you, I notice!

> > Sorry to be dismissive but ... er ... I'm going to be dismissive; railing
> > against 'US imperialism' is as laughable as it is naive, and is no more
> > than pissing in the wind.
>
> Personally I dont mind pissing in the wind if it wasn't for people
> pissing in the wind you would still be speaking Latin.

I've found a plot here -- did you lose it?

> Cup of tea
> anyone? ;)

Tchoh! This time of night I need Beeeeeeeeeeerrrrr....
- --
Alistair

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk