[Gllug] BIND 9.2 - 'mix and match'

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 08:57:18 UTC 2003

Martin

Thanks to you and others for your comments about installing BIND 9.2.2 from
source rather than an RPM

I am not sure my questions are answered; ie what are the lib and include files
for - do they effectively replace existing ones ?

The 9.2 version I have compiled/installed actually replaces an 8.4 version which
was also compiled/installed from original sources.

Bearing in mind that the Redhat version my system is based on is somwhat old
now, I am not sure that a binary RPM of BIND 9.2.2 would even be available
(though can't say I've checked !).

Since the system in question already had squid, apache, qmail and bind installed
from original sources, looks like it is already fairly 'hybrid' anyway.

I was under the impression that compiling/installing from original sources was
generally a better option than using packaged binaries which were intended
mainly for convenience - but please correct me if I'm wrong !

Tim

The E-Mail and any files transmitted  with it, are confidential
whom they are addressed. If you have received this message
in error please notify the sender and delete the message.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk