OT: The "missing" server (was Re: [Gllug] USB Securikey)

Matthew Thompson matt at actuality.co.uk
Wed Jul 23 06:36:46 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 05:04  am, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 Jul 2003 5:55 pm, John Hearns wrote:
>> I have no reason to believe they wouldn't have kept running forever.
>>
>> Forever is a long time.
>
> //snip//
>
> On a Windoze 2003 box, "forever" is anything over 2 hours!  The
> average time
> to re-boot since install on a test server has been around 37 minutes.
> It is
> the most unstable piece of junk we've seen since "Exchange Server".

It seems that we're just as bad as the enemy for fud.

Uptime is not just a function of the OS but also the hardware, software
and machine load. At work we have an ALR Revolution box with 3 Pentium
Pro 200Mhz processsors that has had uptimes for 6 months and more while
running NT 4.0 and SQL 6.5 - more recently it has started to degrade
but at 7 years old and having had a couple of swapouts for upgrades and
having been moved between buildings I think the hardware is now on the
way out.

M at t :o)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk