[Gllug] Nvidia driver freezes my system

Gary Pownall gary_pownall at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 1 13:00:42 UTC 2003

Hi guys.

I'm having trouble getting the Nvidia driver to work with my mandrake 9.1 box.  I configure XF86Config-4 which it asks me to do (I'm using XFREE86 4.3) and I get the NVIDIA "splash" on bootup but Whenever I try to run "Tuxracer" or any other 3d accellerated games my system freezes.  The kernel (2.4.21mdk) is the right version, and I've checked for bad or missing symlinks or conflicting filenames/extensions and can't find any that would cause this.

I have read extensuvely the READ ME file that came with it and have tried all of the recommendations that they suggest you  try if you have a problem, and despite this my system still freezes.

When fcsk repairs the damaged filesystem inherrent in an unclean shutdown it invariably ends up killing the x server, and since I've only been using Linux for just over a month I have no option but to re-install Mandrake.  I've done this 5 times now and each time i try another option and run Tux or "Cannon smash" I get the same result.  I don't think my hard drive can take too many more re- installs...

Any offers of help would be very gratefully received.

Thanks in anticipation

Gary