[Gllug] File sharing protocols

Simon Morris simon.morris at penguinit.com
Fri Jul 4 16:49:36 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I have got a chance to design a new network for a startup company. They
are using MAC OS X on the clients, and XServe's and Linux boxes for the
servers.

I've got OpenLDAP in mind to centralise user accounts and store mail
routing information (Postfix).

My question to the list is with this mix of OS's what would be best file
sharing protocol to use. Pro's and cons would be most helpful.

* Netatalk -- Not very standard, requires keeping index files for the Macs

* Samba -- requires maintaining SMB passwords as well as Linux passwords

* NFS -- Native protocol, but (possibly) not as secure. Is this still the
case with NFS? Also some file locking issues that I hope someone can
explain further.

Also I want to centralise the users Homedirs on OS X. Am I forced here in
using NFS, or can I mount homedirs over Samba etc. (Well it is possible,
is it a good idea or not?)

Thanks as always

--
Simon Morris