OT: The "missing" server (was Re: [Gllug] USB Securikey)

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 25 07:56:22 UTC 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Doug Winter said:
> On Tue 22 Jul David Damerell wrote:
>> That's not a SparcStation, though - the SS20 was released in '95,
>> which would leave it running, what, Solaris 2.5.1? I wouldn't expect
>> an SS20 running 2.5.1 to stay up without trouble for four years.
>
> I wouldn't expect *anything* running 2.5.1 to stay up for years.  That
> was a terrible Solaris release :)

I'd call it the first halfway usable one. 2.4 was just-post-kernel-
tree-merge and was very wobbly, and 2.5 had a couple of really nasty
bugs.

But I was using 2.5.1 for about four years with no trouble at all.

> My first SS20 ran 2.4 though, so I think they must have come out just
> before 2.5.1 was released.  2.4 was OK.

*shiver* I still have nightmares about getting that to work.

--
`We cannot get a new line down the pipe due to a blockage and we cannot
 dig up the road to clear the blockage because it is covered with the

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk