[Gllug] Wireless installation

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jul 22 03:59:31 UTC 2003

On Monday 21 Jul 2003 10:36 pm, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> This is really just a sanity check :-)
>
> I have been asked to set up my girlfriend's laptop to work with her
> brother's wireless access point at home.
>
> I asked my gf to ask for the following information:
>
> DHCP operational?
> If not what IP address should be used.
> Gateway
> network mask
> ESSID
> encryption 40 / 128 / off
>
> Her brother, being a balanced a windows user refused to provide any
> information unless she install windows on her laptop.  He did say that
> she can use the wireless point if she can set it up herself.

As a Windoze Luser, he probably can't answer any of the above!

> I take this as an agreement that if she can crack the encryption using
> airtraf or airsnort then she is free to use it. (her brother is a CCNA,
> so I am guessing he would not set it up without encryption or other
> protection)

A CCNA?  He definately won't be able to answer any of the above!

> Is there anything that I missed in my questions to join a wireless
> network?  (even though the questions were not answered)

It might be worth asking him if he understands that his network is inherently
insecure, and that ANY Windoze "firewall" is fair game for anyone with a bit
of sense and a box running the right OS and tools!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk