[Gllug] kde fails to start after hardware upgrade.

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Thu Jul 24 19:12:26 UTC 2003

I've been wrestling with a problem for over a week.

I run Debian 3.0 on a PC and bought a GeForce440X AGP 8X
with 128MB of Ram and Vivo. Getting X4.2 and using the
'nv' driver did not appeal, so I decided to use the 'vesa'
driver initially and later progress to nvidia's drivers
and the Debian packages kernel-src and glx-src.

After the physical install, I ran 'dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86' and had problems with the mouse
(it's a four button plus wheel USB connected to a PS/2
port via a converter). mdetect seemed to want to treat
it as a USB mouse (/dev/input/mice and protocol ImPS/2 etc).

Eventually, I got a login screen (mouse and keyboard
working fine), attempted to log in and KDE failed when
going through 'peripherals'. Nothing logged helps
(although .xsession-errors persists in saying '/tmp/.ICE-unix
should be set to root' - it isn't on my other box with
the same Debian 3.0 running and changing ownership makes
no difference).

If I log in and start TWM, Sawfish or Icewm, all work.

No files have been left changed except 'XF86Config-4' (via
Debconf), so I'm thoroughly confused. Can anyone offer
assistance on how I can debug this problem?

X is 4.1.0-16, I've tried all three of my kernels
(2.2.20. 2.4.20 and 2.4.21) and KDE is 2.2.

I'd be grateful for help, pointers etc.

John.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk