[Gllug] backup solution

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Wed Jul 9 13:41:23 UTC 2003

Jack Bertram <jack at jbertram.net> writes:

> * Rich Walker <rw at shadow.org.uk> [030708 18:11]:
> > Jack Bertram <jack at jbertram.net> writes:
> >
> > > Well, now that my hard disk drive has failed,
> >
> > I just used Dotco Software (0870 770 4267) to solve one of those. No
> > connection other than and so forth.
>
> Unfortunately it's definitely a hardware failure so getting the data
> recovered will be too expensive.  It's of sentimental value rather
> than monetary so I'm going to have to live with it.

This was a hardware failure. Specifically, a "plug the laptop hard drive
into a crappy IDE adaptor and then watch interesting smoke emerge" kind
of failure". (I had, foolishly, mounted /usr read-only, which caused a
libc upgrade to fail, *after* deleting libc. Or something. All debian
package tools are dynamically linked to libc. Or near enough. Rather
than waiting till I had my external floppy (toshiba laptop) I decided to
be clever. Painfully clever, as it proved...) I got *everything* back on
a bigger hard drive...

> Thanks for the link though.
>
> > > - Must work with Linux
> > > - Preferably IDE/cheap SCSI - my file server is an old 466 Celeron
> > >   without nice things like USB2 and Firewire
> > > - At least 10Gb per tape/cartridge/whatever
> > > - Withstand multiple writing/rewriting to same tape/cartridge
> >
> > At work, we use:
> >
> > 1x fast CD writer
> > 1x fireproof safe
>
> I would prefer to back up onto something with more capacity than CD
> ROMs - I could always do incrementals onto CD but the full system
> backup wil have to be onto tapes, or I'll need hundreds of CDs.

True, but at current pricing it *does* make a very good archival
backup. Just remember to post them to a location 1 major political
boundary and at least 400 miles away.

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml