[Gllug] IDE drive detection

James de Lurker jtl2nospamMUNGIEjump at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 29 17:29:07 UTC 2003

Martin A. Brooks wrote:
 > At 19:27 28/07/2003, you wrote:
 >
 >> I've swapped the IDE cable, with no effect. I've changed the jumpers
 >> from master/slave to cable select on both drives, with no effect. Both
 >> drives can be felt to spin up fine. I'm now confused. Anyone seen this
 >> before.

 > I've seen exactly this fault before on a machine.  I ended up having to
 > buy an external IDE controller and disabling the onboard one. YMMV.

Similar here - a mini tower system used as a 24/7 NT BDC where the fan
on the processor got sticky and sometimes stalled after a reboot. A
more frequent occurance with NT, of course <*cough*>

The mobo in the mini tower was vertical; turns out that it
was speced for horizontal desktop type boxes...

Fan failure cooked the interface chips. One IDE port totally dead, and
daisy chaining what was split between them onto the remaining one was
perilous as it became more data cable loading / temperature sensitive.

Data cable / connector quality and cleanliness/wear/oxidation may be
factors worth examining closely. Measure the board voltages around
the support and buffer chips that feed the IDE port. Are they in spec?

Now it has a bloody great 12V 4 inch fan bolted into the case aimed
at the processor / support chipset. Still serving, 8 years later,
multiboot with selinux.

Hopefully you will be as lucky finding a robust workaround to make
it reliable again.

--

   -- James

 From and Reply To are INVALID.

All public postings use munged headers[1]- To contact me off list:
   1) Remove "M U N G I E j u m p" ONLY: leave that "nospam" in there!
   2) change "hotmail" 2 "myrealbox" after the @

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk