[Gllug] Compiling Debian Woody (not)

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Thu Jul 3 15:20:02 UTC 2003

And verily, didst Peter Ball announce to the hordes:
> extract the kernel sources:
>
> tar xIf /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.22.tar.bz2
>
> but this comes up with error message:
>
> tar: Warning the -I option is not supported; perhaps you meant -j or -T

Yess.... tar went through a stage where there were multiple varying switches
to unbzip a tar file. -I and -j were the most common, so FINALLY it seems
that they've decided on a standard switch...

oh, and I'd recommend changing to the /usr/src/ directory before untarring.
Otherwise the files will be untarred whereever you happen to be at the time,
so...

cd /usr/src
tar jxvf /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.22.tar.bz2
(Although you may find the 2.4.x kernels less troublesome, depending on your
hardware).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk