[Gllug] backup solution

Richard Turner richard at rj-turner.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 21:04:39 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 17:57, David Damerell wrote:
<SNIP>
> I have an internal OnStream 15GB (30GB on the manufacturer's lie scale
> most drives use) with 2 tapes. It's SCSI, works with Linux albeit with
> a special funky (but not non-Free) driver, worked last time I used
> it. I live in Bracknell, but am regularly in Reading and London. If
> you would like to make me an offer, go ahead.

I use the IDE version for backups at work and am quite pleased with it.
I backup about 13Gb each night and have Mon-Thu tapes that are used
every week (Fri has a four month rotation pattern) - the tapes hold-up
pretty well.  The backup takes forever, but during the night that's not
an issue for us.  I've never had to restore a whole system (touch wood),
so I don't know how fast that would be, but restoring the odd few files
isn't too onerous.

Not bad for a cheap solution.

Richard.
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."