[Gllug] EU patents

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jul 3 20:45:43 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 01 Jul 2003 8:02 am, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Tue 01 Jul, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> > "Will I be able to use my "Sage" accounts package on this Linux?  Why
> > not?  I spent a huge amount on that programme.  No - I'll stay with
> > Windoze.  Yes - I know that it's not reliable, especially as we lost four
> > days of work last week after a crash, and all my e-mail address book
> > entries were mailed a virus from here, but we'll stay with it."
>
>    There is at least one version of Sage for Linux that has been available
> for some time.

It was an example (however bad) for the purposes of illustration.

I have just had to deal with a customer who has decided to "upgrade" to Win
XP.  They have now discovered that much of their legacy software and hardware
won't work properly with this "operating system".  This foul-up has cost them
several tens of thousands of pounds, but they insist that they "must run
Windows XP", even if it means that they have to replace much of their
hardware and re-buy all their software.....

They also received some particularly nasty Word macro virus (which their
"virus scanner" software failed to recognise).  This corrupted huge
quantities of their current data and backups, because they didn't realise
what had happened for several days......

The stupidity of PC World customers never fails to astonish me!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk