[Gllug] [OTish] SureStore DAT24

John Edwards John.Edwards at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Jul 2 12:04:17 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 11:32:13AM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> Taylor James writes:
>
> >Is this the bargain I think it is?
>
> If it works, yes.
>
> >Can anyone recommend a cheap (and I mean *cheap*) SCSI card that would be
> >suitable for getting this thing up and running? I admit that I know
> >absolutely nothing about SCSI hardware.
>
> You should be able to pick an old Advansys card for peanuts these days.
> They have excellent Linux support, and I highly recommend them. Or you
> could always go the Adaptec route, but expect to pay a premium for the
> name. There's usually a reasonable selection on ebay.
>
> Tet

You can get an Adaptec 2904, which is a 2940 without the ROM, for about
25+VAT. It runs at 5MB/s, and the HP SureStore needs 1MB/s sustained,
2MB/s sustained with max compression, and 5MB/s burst. This may be
cutting it a little too close on the throughput speed of the card.

There are other non-Adaptec cards (eg Symbios, Advansys) for the same
price that run at 10MB/s. But you'll need to check that the chips they
use are supported by the Linux kernel you are running.

--
|       John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com       |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk