[Gllug] backup solution

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Tue Jul 8 21:40:05 UTC 2003

On Tue 08 Jul itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:
> My personal choice for tape backup software would be Amanda.

I'd second this - I've got around 1Tb of data being backed up by Amanda
quite happily on mixed OpenBSD/Linux/Solaris systems, and I'm in the
process of installing a 30 tape library that'll use Amanda to back up
another 1Tb elsewhere.

The only problem I found with it is that the things you back up
(generally partitions) need to be smaller than a single tape.  There's
some kind of project in the works to remove this limitation, but I can
quite imagine this requires some significant rearchitecture.

This wasn't a problem until quite recently, but I'm finding it a bit of
an issue on DLT7000 formatted tapes - I'm getting about 60Gb on each,
compressed, which is smaller than a lot of disks these days.

There is a workaround, where you can specify deeper backup mounts (i.e.
directories on that partition) but this isn't ideal obviously.

Apart from that proviso, Amanda is probably the best network backup
software I've used - it's built in planning is nothing short of
brilliant.

doug.

--
Core GNOME developers are heavy Ketamine users
    -- http://www.illusionary.com/GNOMEvKDE.html