[Gllug] backup solution

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 08:56:33 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 06:48, Alain Williams wrote:
> On Tue 08 Jul Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> > Buying second-hand kit is fine if it comes with a warranty, you won't
> > get that from E-Bay.
>
> One very important point: to check that the backups are readable, do
> check that what is on the tape is what you wrote last to it -- years ago
> I had some customers discover, far too late, that the write head had stopped
> working months ago, so the data on the tape looked OK, but was not what
> they put on it the night before !
Funny you should mention this.  I was doing a couple of recoverys with
AMANDA last night only to discover that only some of my backups have

Some of my backup definitions I had neglected to put indexes and as a
result I had backed up all my data, but not where it was.  I just had to
trawl through my saved emails from AMANDA to discover where!!

I was only after three html files :-)

I think you make a very valid point.

Kind regards
Xander