[Gllug] Wireless installation

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 21:36:04 UTC 2003

This is really just a sanity check :-)

I have been asked to set up my girlfriend's laptop to work with her
brother's wireless access point at home.

I asked my gf to ask for the following information:

DHCP operational?
If not what IP address should be used.
Gateway
network mask
ESSID
encryption 40 / 128 / off

Her brother, being a balanced a windows user refused to provide any
information unless she install windows on her laptop.  He did say that
she can use the wireless point if she can set it up herself.

I take this as an agreement that if she can crack the encryption using
airtraf or airsnort then she is free to use it. (her brother is a CCNA,
so I am guessing he would not set it up without encryption or other
protection)

Life is exciting :-)

Has anyone used these tools or have any recommendations for any others
that might help this task?

Is there anything that I missed in my questions to join a wireless
network?  (even though the questions were not answered)

Kind regards
Xander

----
AirTraf is a wireless sniffer that can detect and determine exactly what
is being transmitted over 802.11 wireless networks. This open-source
program tracks and identifies legitimate and rogue access points, keeps
performance statistics on a by-user and by-protocol basis, measures the
signal strength of network components, and more.

AirSnort is a wireless LAN (WLAN) tool which recovers encryption keys.
AirSnort operates by passively monitoring transmissions, computing the
encryption key when enough packets have been gathered.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk