[Gllug] AOL blocking mail from DSL lines (again)

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 23:32:56 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 10:26, Richard Jones wrote:
> Does anyone actually have a solution for this?[1]
>
> Situation is this: my dad connects to the internet through a variety
> of different ISPs. So I configured his sendmail to send mail directly
> (not through a smarthost). This has worked fine with everyone until
> very recently when AOL instituted their stupid change in policy. Now
> he can't go editing /etc/sendmail.cf every time he wants to connect
> through a different ISP. How can I set it up so he can talk to his
> friend on AOL?

Set up your sendmail.cf so mail going to *@aol.com gets sent to a
smarthost, and everything else goes out as normal. You just need to make
some changes to ruleset 0, by adding a "LOCAL_RULE_0" and the
appropriate rule to your sendmail.mc file and rebuilding the cf.

In brief:-

Set up a class containing domains for which you want to use a smarthost.
Set up a mailer definition that uses SMTP to the smarthost.

Add something like:-

MAILER(`ispmailer')

LOCAL_CONFIG
F{duldomains}/etc/mail/duldomains

LOCAL_RULE_0
R $+ < @ $={duldomains} . >    $#ispmailer $: $1

Make a copy of the smtp.m4 as ispmailer.m4 in the cf/mailer directory,
and hack it to just bung everything to a smarthost. Create the file
/etc/mail/duldomains, and then add all domains for which you want to
relay via smarthost to it, one per line.

Caveat - this is all off the top of my head, and not tested. Check it
before you break your mail system.

Remember that sendmail has a turing complete rule engine. This kind of
stuff is what it was built to solve - you can do practically anything
you can imagine with rules....

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk