[Gllug] backup solution

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Tue Jul 8 20:52:05 UTC 2003

* Rich Walker <rw at shadow.org.uk> [030708 18:11]:
> Jack Bertram <jack at jbertram.net> writes:
>
> > Well, now that my hard disk drive has failed,
>
> I just used Dotco Software (0870 770 4267) to solve one of those. No
> connection other than and so forth.

Unfortunately it's definitely a hardware failure so getting the data
recovered will be too expensive.  It's of sentimental value rather
than monetary so I'm going to have to live with it.

Thanks for the link though.

> > - Must work with Linux
> > - Preferably IDE/cheap SCSI - my file server is an old 466 Celeron
> >   without nice things like USB2 and Firewire
> > - At least 10Gb per tape/cartridge/whatever
> > - Withstand multiple writing/rewriting to same tape/cartridge
>
> At work, we use:
>
> 1x fast CD writer
> 1x fireproof safe

I would prefer to back up onto something with more capacity than CD
ROMs - I could always do incrementals onto CD but the full system
backup wil have to be onto tapes, or I'll need hundreds of CDs.

jack

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk