[Gllug] AOL blocking mail from DSL lines (again)

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Tue Jul 8 12:28:30 UTC 2003

Jason Clifford writes:

>Why don't you set up SMTP AUTH on your box and configure their sendmail
>instance to authenticate? It's very easy to do and you wont then be
>running an open relay.

I'd have liked to do that. However:

1. They're not using sendmail. They're using Windows.
2. They're in France, and needed something working ASAP.
3. I didn't fancy doing telephone support at international call rates
   explaining to my non-computer literate parents how to configure
   Pegasus to use SMTP AUTH when I don't even know myself -- I'd just
   play around with the menu options until I found it. That's not an
   option for them, though...

Trust me, I know exactly how poor a solution it is. But it was what
I could get working at the time, and I'll be able to turn it off in
a week or so.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk