[Gllug] [Fwd: Response to your correspondence regarding the draft EU directive on patentability of computer-implemented inventions.]

Anthony Chapman anth at earthling.net
Thu Jul 17 18:22:23 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 16:12, Richard Jones wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Arlene McCarthy <arlenemccarthymep at yahoo.co.uk> -----
> Furthermore, the amended directive contains new provisions on decompilation that will assist software developers.

Does anyone know whats going on here? Will this "help" mean a law that
bans reverse engineering even when needed for compatibility, and maybe
even (accidentally) bans debugging tools? Am I being too cynical or are
the likes of samba, decss, and openoffice all under threat?

I really hope I'm wrong about this.
--
load "vmlinux.el",8,1

-Anth