[Gllug] modprobe: Can't locate module af_packet

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Wed Jul 9 09:47:04 UTC 2003

Hiya,

just one little thing first, when you say 'compiling debian woody' i get mental
images of compiling about 1000 little apps :-) but i guess you mean the kernel,
:-) you should be able to use any kernel sources from www.kernel.org / redhat /
debian if you want to compile and install :-) its more of a general thing,
rather than debian.

you are seeing those errors when you boot up because your system is trying to
load them as kernel modules, if the module doesnt exist and even if its already
a compiled in kernel function then it will still throw up an error,

btw, unix-domain sockets are mainly used for things like XFree86, not really
anything like ftp or web stuff (except uucp but thats another thing)
packet_socket is for things to do with TCP/IP

you have three options,
1) ignore if if the network still works
2) delete the offending lines from /etc/modules (this will make annoying
   errors about time differences)
3) set them back as modules and do a
   #  make clean;make dep; make bzlilo;make modules;make modules_install

enjoy :-)

Ian

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 11:06:35AM +0100, Peter Ball wrote:
> Hi
>
> Compiling Debian Woody I get one boot error I can't seem to get rid of

> If I understand correctly this is caused by:
>
> 	Networking options
> 		Packet socket
> 		Unix domain sockets
>
> I had both of these compiled in the kernel,  I tried switching off Packet socket
> but that didn't make any difference.
>
> Obviously I can't switch of Unix domain sockets (unless I want a machine
> without any network - haha)
>
> I don't know the error was there out of the box because at that time I hadn't
> worked out that <Shift><PageUp> and <Shift><PageDown> would let me
> scroll thru' the boot messages.
>
> I know I'm missing something silly - so could someone please tell me what it
> is :-)
>
> -----------------------------------
> Peter Ball
> Computers For Linguists
> peter.ball at marguet-ball.net
> Tel:    +44(0)20 7732 1741
> Fax:    +44(0)20 7358 9214
> Mobile: +44(0)77 1968 2913
> 45 Endwell Road, London, SE4 2PQ, United Kingdom
>

> --

----- Message of the Hour ------
Moooo :-)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk