[Gllug] Module vs compiled in...

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Fri Jul 18 13:43:21 UTC 2003

And verily, didst Dylan announce to the hordes:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm currently tinkering with LinuxFromScratch to get a good handle on how the
> system hangs together. Now, on a box with onboard devices (which will
> necessarily not be swapped out, therefore) such as NIC and graphics card,
> what are the opinions on the swings and roundabouts of compiling the drivers
> as modules or compiling them into the kernel?
>
> The way I see it, a NIC and graphics card are effectively in constant use,
> hence the load-on-demand benefits (such as memory usage) simply don't
> apply...

Well... One benefit of keeping them as modules is this...

One day, in the future, you swap motherboards...
Modules can be removed and replaced with new ones for whatever's on the new
board. built in ones can't, so then they'd be wasting space and you'd need
another compile....

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk