[Gllug] Mandrake is too clever by half (0.5)

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Thu Jul 3 12:02:04 UTC 2003

Gordon Joly writes:

>"Clever clever" Mandrake give the results of du (be default?) as
>
>1.1G
>20k
>246M
>23M
>
>etc so you cannot pipe to "numerical sort" as above...

You can always force the issue: du -sk * | sort -n

>P.S. What does Posix say about this?

Dunno about POSIX, but SuS madates that sizes are shown in 512-byte units,
unless overridden by command line arguments:

	http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xcu/du.html

Personally, I think that's wrong too. If you're not going to use numbers
useful to humans, then default to number of filesystem blocks. Not all
filesystems use 512 byte blocks any more...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk