[Gllug] Serial Port as Boot Console

Peter Ball CFL at marguet-ball.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 23 21:51:31 UTC 2003

Thanks to Tethys two days ago who I realized I forgot to thank.

Its now working but I don't think the Serial Port is actually the console.  I basically
followed the advice in the Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO adapted from Redhat to
Debian including the following changes to lilo.conf

  # Changes for serial console on COM1: in global section
  serial=0,9600n8

  # Changes for serial console on COM1: in each image section
  append="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600n8"

and the necessary changes to /etc/inittab and /etc/securetty

Everything works really well except that I can't see the console messages on close down
and startup.

On a reboot the only output seen on ttyS0 is:

  debian01:~# shutdown -r now

  Broadcast message from root (ttyS0) debian01:~#
  LILO 22.2 Loading Linux.........

  Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 debian01 ttyS0

  debian01 login:

Whilst the vga screen on tty0 shows all the messages.  My understanding of the
HOWTO is that it should be the opposite with ttyS0 showing full messages and tty0
showing minimum messages.

I'm obviously doing something silly but I can't see what it is ??????

Peter Ball
Computers For Linguists
peter.ball at marguet-ball.net
Tel:    +44(0)20 7732 1741
Fax:    +44(0)20 7358 9214
Mobile: +44(0)77 1968 2913
45 Endwell Road, London, SE4 2PQ, United Kingdom

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk