[Gllug] Help with Red Hat 8.0 install on Win 98

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Jul 14 10:16:14 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 08:38:39AM +0000, Robert Boulter wrote:
> Hi,
>  I am stumped on my Red Hat 8 install on the following point.
>  My single hard disk has been formatted into two logical partition C: and
> D:  I have moved all my windows data to C: and tried to install my root
> partition on D: using disk druid.  However disk druid is returning a
> message telling me I need to create a boot disk.  Can anybody help?

Assuming a default set-up, when your PC boots it's going to look first
for a floppy to boot from and then at the start of the first available
hard disk for boot code, which in your case is Drive C:.  If you want to
boot Linux on this computer then you need either to have the Linux boot
loader installed at the beginning of the first drive or to create a boot
floppy which you can put into the floppy drive when you want to boot to
Linux.  The Red Hat installation process can help you do both of these
things but you don't do it from Disk Druid, you make those choices
elsewhere.  If you choose to have the Linux boot loader installed to the
beginning of the first drive then that loader can be configured to give
you the choice of booting to Linux or Windows (and will probably offer
you this option by default).

There is an alternative, which is to install Linux onto the first disk
and, having done that, install Windows onto the second.  If you are
running Windows95/98/ME then all it cares is that it's on the first
*visible* drive and a drive that has been entirely given over to Linux
will not be visible to it.  That way your computer can boot using the
Linux boot loader on the first drive which, if you choose, can then boot
Windows from the second drive and Windows will happily call the second
drive 'C:', not being able to see any others.

--
Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk