[Gllug] sparc 227terabyte disk size oddness

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 31 23:10:00 UTC 2003

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Ian Norton stipulated:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 10:02:52PM +0100, Nix wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Martin A. Brooks muttered drunkenly:
>> Possibly a move from non-LFS to LFS was going on, and you got bitten by
>> having some parts of the system built LFS (with 64-bit file pointers and
>> sizes) and some parts built non-LFS (with file pointers and sizes only
>> 32-bit).
>
> might i point out that the machine in question is a sparc lx, afaik totally
> 32bit, but i agree it does sound like some funny sizing/word lenght thing

This is `size of pointers into files' (i.e. `max size of file', `size of
seeks' and such things), *not* pointer size, int size, or anything else.

Pure 32-bit boxes can happily use the Large File Summit functions and
get files >2Gb in size.

--
`We cannot get a new line down the pipe due to a blockage and we cannot
 dig up the road to clear the blockage because it is covered with the

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk