[Gllug] Red Hat's next installer

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Sun Jul 20 12:08:12 UTC 2003

On Saturday 19 July 2003 13:14, Paul Lee wrote:

> > SSH install is described on the same page.
> >
> > Bernhard
>
> You can already remote install servers/workstations, with RH kickstart,
> or am I missing
> something?
No not at all; however when doing upgrades it is sometimes nice to add or
remove new packages during the install.  I know that it could be done
afterwards; however there are a number of times I have been stuck in a data
centre without a proper terminal and to be able to connect using this would
have been helpful.

The text of the release I have put here (http://www.harkness.co.uk/redhat/) it
also states things like RH will be replacing UW IMAP with dovecot.  They are
removing pine and I thought they were replacing it with cone.  There is no
mention of cone, so that might be sitting on that for a while.

> Configure your kickstart disc with chosen IP
> (or dhcp) pointing it at ftp/http i386 directory and get the datacentre
> tech to reboot remote server with your kickstart disc in place. A few
> mins later you should be able to ssh into your newly installed server
> (hopefully!).
It is the hopefully thing that gets you, being able to see what the problem is
woul dbe good...... :-)

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk