[Gllug] re: SCSI vs IDE

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Mon Jul 28 12:12:38 UTC 2003

Just to throw in my belated tuppence worth:

We use SCSI exclusively here on the main server because
a) they get data in and out of memory much faster than IDE
b) they appear to use much fewer CPU cycles than IDE for whatever reason

Yes they are somewhat more expensive, my latest price list shows at 7200
80Gb ata133 at 59+vat whereas a 10000 73Gb U160 SCSI weighs in at 180.

Personally, I believe for a 'mission critical' server the extra is worth it.

Likewise, paying extra for a system with ECC memory is, in my view, an essential

Tim

The E-Mail and any files transmitted  with it, are confidential
whom they are addressed. If you have received this message
in error please notify the sender and delete the message.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk