[Gllug] Next GLLUG Meeting - 12 July 2003

Zachary Struhs zjstruhs at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 7 22:54:54 UTC 2003

Meeting: 12th July 2003

The Greater London Linux User Group is having another meeting.

That's right, there is a GLLUG meeting on Saturday 12th July 2003, between
12noon and 5pm.

Website: http://gllug.org.uk/meeting-20030712.html

We will be meeting in the New Cavendish Street campus of Westminster
University. This is in the shadow of the BT Tower, the nearest tube stations
are Great Portland Street, Warren Street and Goodge Street. You will find a
map at [ http://www.wmin.ac.uk/static/maps.asp ] or via www.streetmap.co.uk

NOTE: you will need to sign in at the front desk to gain access to the
building. There are building works at the moment but we'll post signs if the
entrance has moved.

Schedule

12:00 - 13:00 Welcome and Introduction.
also opportunity to try and debug overhead projectors :-)

13:00 - 14:30 Paul Nasrat - Redhat Package Manager(RPM)

RPM is a powerful command line driven package management system capable of
installing, uninstalling, verifying, querying, and updating computer software
packages. The talk will introduce rpm itself, go on to cover developing and
building packages and how to deploy.

Paul is an systems administrator who has worked a variety of package
management systems. He is a member of the JPackage team which aims to provide
a coherent and policy driven set of Java software packages.

14:30 - 15:30 Break

15:30 - 16:30 Grzegorz Jaskiewicz - Introduction to the Linux Kernel

This talk is aimed at Linux newbies, and will answer such questions as: What
is a kernel? Why would we want to load different kernels? And will include a
step by step demonstrations on recompiling a Linux kernel.

Grezegorz is a student from Poland who is working as a C/C++ programmer,
GNU/Linux system administrator and security advisor. He is also a member of
the KDE development team.

16:30 - 17:00 Closing Announcement - Adjourne to the Pub

Do please be aware that we can't guarantee that the talks will happen at the
times stated, but we will do our best to make sure they do.

Other activities

The network lab, as it is known, can be used for rolling demos of Linux being
installations and to experiment with configuration.

We also have the Multimedia room. This will be used for people to set is up
their own machines. You can do this if you have something to show off, or you
are looking for a solution to some problems. If your are bringing in your own
machine, make sure you sign it in when you arrive, otherwise security won't
let you take it when you go! We'll have monitors, keyboards, mice, and
powerleads available. [So no need to lug all that stuff].

We will have access to some of the latest iso images and a CD-Burner.

If you decide to bring a PC, please have the serial number written down ahead
of time, in case it needs to be registered at the ground floor Reception. We
may also take a picture of you and your PC as proof of ownership.

The network lab and the multimedia room are the places you can go to, should
you be looking for sanctuary away from the formal talks. If we're lucky the
Refectory on the ground floor will have its food and drinks machines
restocked.

After

After the meeting, for those that want, the group will move off to 'The Green
Man' public house, very close to Great Portland Street. Even if you were
unable to make the daytime meeting, please feel free to join us at the pub.
To help you find the pub have a look at this external streetmap link.
href="http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=528893&Y=182174&A=Y&Z=1

Next meeting - Bletchley Park 17th Aug 2003.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk