[Gllug] BIND

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Tue Jul 8 12:41:07 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 01:40:37PM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> As I've argued elsewhere, it's not really desirable to do this. Don't
> mix self compiled stuff with things your distribution supplies. Instead,
> put it somewhere completely separate (I usr /local for this, for example).
> You certainly shouldn't be touching /usr.

I'm not sure I think you have to have a firm policy on what you are
doing, certainly I repackage some stuff merged with distribution
with either upstream or custom changes, but I keep a strict package
only policy.

eg I've got RH 9, with a rawhide based modutils + module-init-tools, and
a rawhide + minor patch for insmod.old addition of mkinitrd.  Surely if
I know what I'm doing here and am being consistent with distro policy
and strict with myself is this really a problem?

Paul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk