[Gllug] Content switches using Linux

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Fri Jul 25 13:48:09 UTC 2003

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:14:50 +0100
Richard Cottrill <richard_c at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> - Will a PCI bus come close to holding this sort of throughput?

No. Sad to say but PCI really isn't that great at high-speed I/O. In order to
get more speed you will need multiple buses, the faster the better.

Some numbers for you:
PCI32 33MHz = 133MB/s
PCI32 66MHz = 266MB/s
PCI64 33MHz = 266MB/s
PCI64 66MHz = 533MB/s
PCI-X 133MHz = 1066MB/s
That of course is in an ideal world.

> - I can imagine a number of smaller machines would have a better chance
> (I'm thinking blade servers here); but could it really work? I can
> imagine a number of management headaches...

Is the content switch really that exspensive? .... I've just re-read your
email, especially the bit where you say "hundreds of thousands". Ok so you can
reasonably think about a quad CPU box with multiple fast buses, PCI-X for
preference if you are thinking x86. It might be worth looking to see if
another hardware architecture has what you need in terms of I/O bandwidth.

Of course if you don't need 6Gigabit constant throughput then things rapidly
start becoming reasonable.

Given that a big chasis core switch only costs aroung one-hundred grand fully
loaded what the hell is this nokia switch supposed to do thats so clever?

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk