[Gllug] BIND

Phil Reynolds phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
Tue Jul 8 19:18:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 08:13:59PM +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Hi Tim
>
> At 13:30 08/07/2003, you wrote:
> >I also noted that the install places some '.a' libraries in /usr/local/lib
> >plus a whole raft of files in /usr/local/include.
>
> You should make a fundamental choice about how you manage your system(s):
>
> Use the package management tools or don't.
>
> Mixing and matching _will_ result in tears further down the line.

I always use package management where possible. I use the
native-to-debian "apt" tools for Debian packages. If I can't get
something in a suitable form for that, my next best choice is to obtain
the source, compile and use xstow to manage it. Failing that, I use
alien to convert RedHat packages.

--
Phil Reynolds (new PGP key as of 01/05/2003)
 o  ____ mail: phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
|L_ \  / Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
(_)- \/  Waltham 67, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk