[Gllug] 64bit linux / debian

John Hearns jhearns at freesolutions.net
Tue Jul 8 06:03:13 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 00:29, Ian Norton wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> has anyone had any dealings with running 64bit linux on opteron machines? i
> have 4 of them due here soon,

You lucky blighter.
I've been following the discussion on the Beowulf list about running
distros on Opterons.
I'll discuss with you off list. Maybe I can get to try one out?

To summarise, off the top of my head (I hope I recall this correctly):

32 bit compiled distros install and work just fine

SuSE (as we've heard at GLLUG) have the first 64 bit ready distro, which
works well

Redhat have Gingin64 in beta at the moment

The 64 bit Debian distro isn't quite there yet - but soon.

An exciting thing to do would be to try a Gentoo install on one, and see
what
it does.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk