[Gllug] Interpocket - USB for iPAQ/Zaurus

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Wed Jul 16 13:33:00 UTC 2003

John Hearns wrote:
>>On a different tack, I like the idea of storing digital photos from my
>>camera onto a hard disc; if I can figure out a way to get sufficient
>>power to my hard disc. Basically I see it as a way of changing the
>>Usual call for comments...
>
> Are the PCMCIA hard disks not what you are after?
>
> this might be interesting too:
> http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/Shop/detail.asp?ProductID=1093

PCMCIA discs (IBM Microdrives?) are a pain to connect to desktop
machines (this should be a "go anywhere/everywhere" solution).

The USB caddy you've linked to is essentially identical to the disc I
have (USB 2.0, 2.5" disc, etc.). When I connect it to my laptop with
only the USB cable it doesn't draw enough power to run (under Linux or
Windows - same symptoms). Interestingly, some desktops will run it
happily. USB 1.x or USB 2 doesn't seem to make a difference to power
availability.

To supplement USB power there's a little thing that piggybacks from the
keyboard/mouse port (I forget the real name) to a separate port in the
disc caddy. As I can't use this device on a PDA (or Mac) I'm trying to
think of a way to use a separate battery pack.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk